Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day! (Hey, don't look at that calendar)

I once told my husband for the first year, I intend to spoil the girls rotten.  For all we endured to get from point A to point B, I was going to celebrate the journey to the girls for a year by spoiling them with clothes.
 Kayla and her bunny, gifted by my friend Marilyn
The girls were gifted with a lot of clothes - some of which became my all time favorites.  I appreciate every one of them!  But of course, I wanted the thrill of picking out some outfits for them myself.  After all, I'd looked forward to that experience every since childhood.  Well, at least high school...
 Size-sorting and detagging gifted clothing in preparation for the girls' arrival 

I distinctly recall walking through a department store with my mother when I was a senior in high school, passed the baby clothes.  I stopped at a rack of cute baby dresses.  When mom inquired why I was looking, I asked her what she thought about my starting a hope chest with baby clothes in it. After all, seniors received a free Lane cedar chest so I wanted something to put in it.    She quickly explained the cedar chest was more of a jewelry box size, not a hope chest size, and then went on to explain why buying baby clothes at that time for a hope chest probably wasn't the best idea for her college bound daughter with no marriage prospect at the time.  My mom is smart.

Ebay was my friend.  The mail carrier probably hated delivering our mail for all the packages.  But hey! a bargain is a bargain!  And the girls' clothes drawers did overflow.  Every holiday they had not one outfit, but probably 2 or 3 outfits each.  Don't get me started on Christmas outfits -- let's just say it was a lot more than 2 or 3 each.

So in February the girls were 16 months old.  And I had no Valentine's outfits for them.  I waited until they were on clearance, and then snagged two matching tops and two different pants -- which fit perfectly with my preference of matching their clothes without making them wear the same exact outfit.  On sale no less!  yay me!  But then I didn't get a decent picture of them in their outfits.  oops!


Kayla (left) and Megan (right) in their Valentine's outfits

Megan (left) and Kayla (right)

Kayla, showing her belly  outfit

After all, I can still spoil them with clothes for the holidays, right? Isn't 16 months still in the first year?  

No comments: