Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Superdad

This past Sunday Jenn had some month end stuff to do in the office, so the girls and I spent the afternoon/evening together. Good day overall; we wrestled around on the floor, watched a lot of Dora, the US/Canada gold medal game, and I think the Science Channel was even running a "Planets" marathon of some kind.

Around 4:30 or so Megan was stinky, so we went and changed her diaper. She wasn't having any of it, trying to wriggle out of her sleeper, kicking like crazy, but eventually we got her all zipped up. We went back to the living room just in time to see the US/Canada game go to overtime, and during that break we ate an early supper. Girls ate theirs, I washed each girl up and set them back in the living room, first Megan then Kayla. When I set Kayla down I noticed a spill of something on the carpet, figured Megan must have spilled a bit of sippy or the puppy got too excited for some reason, didn't think much of it and just dabbed it up.

Girls by then were happy to watch some more Dora, so I nuked a Hot Pocket or something and ate while they played. Somewhere around 6:30 or so we started getting tired, so I grabbed Megan and started making ready for a bath.

I had her sleeper completely off before I realized that she wasn't wearing a diaper. I double checked the sleeper....No, it wasn't in there. I looked around on the floor....Nothing there either. I must have stood there for a good 5 minutes, unwilling to admit the truth to myself, but finally came to terms with the fact that my daughter had been running around the living room diaperless for the better part of 2 hours, wearing only her sleeper. Evidently I had just forgotten to put one on during the last eventful diaper change. And yes, that was her "accident" on the carpet that I had blamed on the dog.

I got pretty lucky all things considered; no poopy, and only the one accident. They were rolling around everywhere on the living room floor; had she been water-logged it could have been a nightmare. Really though, if we would have started a "When will Mike forget the first diaper" pool before October '08, I'm guessing the heaviest action would have been way before ~17 months. I feel pretty good about beating the odds.

In non excrement-related news, things continue to chug along nicely overall. As Jenn mentioned I was laid up for quite a while thanks to my back, but seem to be on the mend and can at least get around and function. No surgery, but PT and a couple of epidurals, seems to be working so far. Girls are growing as always, we seem to be just about on the cusp of really breaking through in speaking. The "backpack" and "map" portions of Dora in particular elicit very familiar sounds. We can also sign "please" and "more" like pros, walk in and out of daycare on our own, locate Mommy, Daddy, Kayla, Megan, Grandma(s), Grandpa, and Loki with no problem, find toys by name, and just in general, our sentences are becoming more than a string of "dat dat's".

No comments: