Monday, November 03, 2008

First Night in a Big Girl Bed


Since Kayla and Megan are only three weeks and three days old, we can’t reasonably expect to sleep through the night. However, I’d expect to get a little bit of sleep at a time, somewhere from one to three hours at a stretch, while the girls sleep. I didn’t think that was asking too much of them at this age.

If they sleep in the pack-and-play in the living room and I sleep on the couch, it happens. But if we put them in the pack-and-play in the bedroom with us, it doesn’t happen. I don’t know what the difference is, but there obviously is a big one to the girls! They’re restless and won’t settle down. Everyone thought I was just getting up quicker with them being 8 feet closer to me, but that’s not the case. They behave differently! So I’ve resorted to sleeping on the couch if we both want a decent amount of sleep.

So last night, Mike hooked up the baby monitors and put them down in the nursery. The first night of having them sleep in a real crib, and not a pack-n-play. A Big Girl Bed. Well, big girl to us right now.

There’s still some logistics to work out with this arrangement though, as the monitor only works for a few hours before running down. We do have two receivers, so changing them out in the middle of the night worked for last night. If mommy wasn’t such a wuss she would trust that they’d wake up hearing them across the hall! But she just isn’t ready for that on the first night! (Speaking in third person allows me to be in denial about my wussiness.)

And then there’s the issue of lighting. With Megan’s diaper rash, we’re changing her in the bathroom and washing off her bottom instead of using wipes. I’ve mastered accomplishing this using only the bathroom nightlight. However, the nightlight in the nursery doesn’t light up in the crib itself. I found myself attempting to put Kayla’s pacifier somewhere between her ear and her left nostril, and wondering why she was still fussing. Or perhaps I was just too asleep and it wasn’t a lighting issue at all – time will tell!

All in all, the night went pretty well for a first night in the nursery. We’ll see if it can be repeated, improved upon, and perhaps be the ticket to letting mommy and daddy both get some sleep at night!

No comments: