Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Wiggles Rock

Kayla and Megan Dancing to The Wiggles

I posted this on my Facebook this weekend, but in case you don't follow me there, there you go. This video is proof that the Internet is at once the most wonderful and horrible thing ever created. In 10+ years, when the girls are too-cool-for-parents and need to be taken down a notch, I can just pull this up when their friends are over and embarrass them beyond words. On the flip side, however, the girls will probably learn to keep it uploaded on whatever phone/device they carry around, and regardless of what they've done - break curfew, wreck the car, start an intergalactic war - it will all be forgotten the moment I see Kayla clap and yell "Yay!" halfway through the video.

Granny was down for this week, coinciding with a week off work I had as well. Originally our daycare was going to be gone on vacation this week, but that was cancelled, so I ended up alternating between doing a few chores around the house and watching Granny work her magic. Every time she's around the girls for an extended period, they seem to have a quantum leap in development. It's the teacher in her I'm sure; she naturally sees in them/does things with them that we mortals cannot. This time the leap was in play. I (finally) baby-proofed the girls room, so Granny brings up from the basement the Disney Fairy Princess table and chairs Grandma Ruth got for them a while back, and they spent a significant portion of the week playing Tea Party, or perhaps Business Casual Lunch, whatever the cool 22-month-olds are into this year. I cleaned out the garage, Granny sees the two doll strollers stored there and forgotten, and before I can finish sweeping the floor the girls are challenging my parenting skills.

I see things like this happen, and it does not escape me that I'm very fortunate to have an extended family filled with teachers (including my wife, who is a teacher herself, if not in title, then in spirit). When small humans have needs that never stray too far from Hungry, Tired, Soiled, and Mad At The World, they fall right into my wheelhouse. It's the scientific method, really.

Hypothesis: Baby Is Hungry.
Test Hypothesis: Feed Baby.
Is Test Positive? Negative.
Proceed to Secondary Hypothesis: Baby is Sleepy.

If all tests fail, endure 30 minutes of crying and repeat. It's all very predictable and orderly when you think about it, and it should not be surprising that a man who is rarely more than 50 feet away from a computer would manage infant care in such a manner. The equations become more complex, however, when things like knowledge, language, emotions, wants and preferences begin to erupt from our charges. This I am less equipped to deal with, and though I'm sure I will find a way to adapt, it is comforting to know that there are those around me willing and able to pick up my slack.

No comments: